Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Consultation Day

I slept great last night. This was a sign of things to come. When I got to the Mayo I went to the 15th floor and checked in. They give you a pager and within a few moments you are paged and a door opens and you are swept down a hall to wherever you need to be. As I rounded the corner, there they were.....The Team. They were not alone, there were others. I felt like I was in the presense of celebrities. It is hard to explain, but in the TBPI world these guys are celebs. So I entered my room and in about 1 minute Dr. Bishop was interogating me. He checked me out thoroughly. He was also proud for being in the room first as he said Dr. Spinner likes to beat everyone to the patient. Shortly after Spinner, Dr. Shin (these 3 make up the team) and a few others came in. Basically what they told me was they thought I was healing very nicely and they really saw no need for surgery at this point. YES! Dr. Spinner said there were some things they could do, but all they would be doing is taking credit for me getting any better when they feel I will achieve this on my own. These guys are so confident, so personable, and so on it, they made me feel like I was doing awesome. Spinner, backed by the others, made sure that I was aware how lucky I am. The function that has returned are what all TBPIers hope for. I agreed I do feel lucky, but I needed to hear this from the best. I just can't believe I don't need surgery.



They want to see me back in 6 months. I am still definately not out of the water, as they said I will most likely never be "normal" again, but I should achieve a "very good" status. Dr. Shin told me most of these recoveries plateau around the 2 year period, but it is not unlikely to see recovery for up to 5 years. So we'll see. Anyway, I am on my way home now and I will cotinue to post on several things pertaining to my BPI. I would also like to post the letters I wrote to my insurance to convince them to cover my trip to the Mayo. Hopefully this could be of benefit to someone going through the same issues. I'm off to try to catch my flight, thanks for reading and thanks to all who have supported me and read.

1 comment: